** Fair notice**
This list is completely subjective and limited by my experience as a reader, which I did not really become an “avid reader” until I was in college studying elementary education and decided I didn’t want to be a hypocrite so I better start enjoying reading for pleasure.
And it is skewed through my interests or from books I see my children unable to put down or dragging me to the library to check out.
And I always support the amazing writers in my writers circle here in Champaign-Urbana, of which there are several.
On to my lists . . .
- Number the Stars – Lois Lowry
- Bud, Not Buddy – Christopher Paul Curtis
- The War that Saved My Life – Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
- Breaking Stalin’s Nose – Eugene Velchin
- Okay for Now – Gary D Schmidt
Novels in Verse
- Inside out and Back Again- Thanhai Lai
- Rhyme Scheme – K.A. Holt
- Crossover – Kwame Alexander
- Burn – Alma Fullerton
- Loving vs. Virginia – Patricia Hruby Powell
Middle Grade Fiction
- The One and Only Ivan – Katherine Applegate
- Mockingbird – Kathy Erskine
- Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
- Divergent – Veronica Roth
- Anne of Green Gables – L.M. Montgomery
For Grown Up Readers
- The Cat Who . . . Series – Lilian Jackson Braun
- Wired for Story – Lisa Cron